Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Bedside Chest of Drawers...Before & After

So, I thought I'd share with y'all how I did my first ever furniture makeover project. It was actually quite simple, especially since my chest of drawers didn't have any grooves in it.
This was handed down to me from my mother when my brother bought new furniture and no longer needed it. Here is how it looked before:

As you can see, it needed a good wipe down before I could get started. After thorougly cleaning the dresser in it's entirety, I was ready for my next step. Since there was a glossy shine to the wood, I needed to sand of the shine finish so that the primer would adhere better to the wood.

As you can see, I used a small handheld sander which made the process so easy. I had to go over it a few times, to be sure I didn't leave any shiny spots anywhere. The next step: primer

Don't let the rust on that brush fool you. The bristles are in good condition which is what matters anyway, right? I think we left it soaking once too long and that caused it to rust on top. Anyway, I gave the piece two good coats of primer, waiting between each coat to give ample time to dry. The next step was to paint with the top coat and decided to go with white semi-gloss paint I already had. The last and final step was to add new knobs. And here it is when all was said and done:

What did this little project of mine cost me? I already had the paint and primer from previous painting projects, and I already had the sander/sandpaper, along with my rusty paintbrush, so all I paid was $10 for the knobs at Target.
As for the tabletop decor:
*Lamp--$4.74 (clearance item from Target)
*Orchid plant--FREE (V-day gift from hubby--he knows how I feel about spending money on roses since they die within a few days so thought I'd appreciate a plant instead. I LOVE IT! It came in a cute wicket basket with a valentine's bow but I didn't think it matched so I put it in the little tin container and wrap a piece of green ribbon around.)
*Candles--FREE (already had)
*black box--FREE (already had--it was from a Christmas gift set & was red. I just gave it a quick coat of black acrylic paint with a foam brush)

All I need now is another just like it or atleast one to compliment it so I can put it on the other side of my bed. Bare with me for not showing a picture of each step by step process. I'm still trying to get in the groove of taking pictures while at work so I can share them with you all. I promise I'll TRY to do better from now on. :)


  1. Wow! Absolutely remarkable! You did such a great job with it Lisa. I love the way you arranged the decor on top as well, that orchid is beautiful. Can't wait to see more of what you're doing in your room. I had never focused my decorating efforts on my bedroom either, until now. I always focused more on the rooms of the house that our guests/family/friends would see more of. I finally decided our room is as important, if not more so, because it is our sanctuary, our little private corner of the world. It's also the room we wake up to every day. I'm glad you're doing the same, dear friend. I think it's kinda cool we are doing it together, even if it wasn't planned that way. Miss you bunches and love you even more.

  2. What a transformation! Wow, way to go Lisa. I, like Stacy, think that orchid is gorgeous and the lampshade is so cute. I cannot believe you were able to get it for such a low price. Pretty awesome!

  3. Great job wish I had space to do little projects.:( But hopefully our move will allow for that.See ya later!